Who can donate?
Donating plasma is an easy but fulfilling way to help improve the life of another. The journey to becoming a Qualified Plasma Donor is simple. Find out if you are eligible, and read more about the donation process below. Contact us to book your appointment.
Step 1: Registration & Health Check
- Upon arrival, you’ll be welcomed and asked to register at reception.
- We’ll ask for a valid photo ID, proof of address and an official document with your social insurance number to verify identification.
- You will complete a questionnaire to assess your health and medical history.
- A Technician will check your vitals, and take your blood to determine your eligibility.
- At your first visit one of our medical staff will perform a brief, confidential physical exam so plan to be with us 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Your subsequent visits will only take 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
Step 3: Plasma Donation
Once your eligibility is confirmed, a Technician will prepare you for donation. The process, called plasmapheresis, will separate your plasma from your other blood components.
There are hundreds of proteins and antibodies found in human plasma and occasionally someone may have a special or unique antibody. The staff at Prometic Plasma Resources will let you know what plasma donation program you may be eligible for. Read more on the different programs here.
The Technician will be there to make sure you are comfortable and know what to expect. It’s normal to be a little apprehensive at the first donation but rest assured, we will be with you every step of the way. During the donation you can read, surf the internet or just sit back and relax.
Step 4: Receive your Donor Compensation Commitment Card
Donating plasma takes time and dedication so donors are compensated for their time and commitment to helping others.
Currently, first time donors receive*:
$100 for the 1st and 2nd donations $75 for the 3rd, 4th and 5th donations $100 for the 6th donation
And, if you make all 6 donations in consecutive weeks (at least one donation per week) you will receive an additional $125
Our return donors receive up to $90 per calendar week and an extra $50 if they donate at least 6 times in a calendar month*. That could mean an extra $410 in your pocket every month!
*Management reserves the right to modify donor fees at any time.
Step 5: Schedule your Next Appointment
At the end of your visit we will ask you to schedule your next appointment.
We cannot use your first donation to make life saving medicines unless you make a second donation within 6-months of the first.
If you have recently donated whole blood, you must wait 8 weeks before donating plasma. After donating plasma you must wait at least one day before donating plasma again.
Before your Plasma donation:
- Get Hydrated – drink 4-6 glasses of water or non-caffeinated beverage 2-3 hours before donation (donation is faster when you’re hydrated)
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco for 24 hours
- Eat a meal within 2 hours of donating
- Get a good sleep the night before donating
If you have any questions regarding plasma donation after care please contact us, or see a physician.
After your Plasma donation, for optimal recovery:
- Continue to hydrate to replace lost fluids and avoid alcohol and tobacco for the next 24 hours
- Avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for the next 24 hours
- Keep your bandage on for at least 2-3 hours
- If feeling faint or dizzy either lie down with legs elevated or sit down with head between knees
If you have any questions regarding plasma donation after care please contact us or see a physician.