You can donate twice in seven days with at least one day between donations.
ProMetic Plasma Resources is licensed by Health Canada and the U.S. FDA and complies with strict regulations to ensure the donation is safe for you and the patients that receive products made from your plasma.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Weigh at least 110 pounds and
- Be in good health
Repeat donor visits take about an hour but your first visit may take about two hours because new donors receive a physical exam.
- Upon arrival, you’ll be welcomed and asked to sign in at the reception desk
- We’ll ask for your identification documents and proof of address (click here to see what documents to bring)
- A Technician will get your weight, vitals (blood pressure, pulse, and temperature) and take a little blood from your finger to measure your protein and red blood cell level
- We will assess your health and medical history with a questionnaire
- One of our Medical Staff will administer a brief physical exam and review your health and medical history to ensure it is safe for you to donate
- Once you eligibility is confirmed a Technician will prepare the automated plasmapheresis machine and connect you using new, sterile materials. The Technician will be there to make sure you understand every step and alleviate any nervousness
- During the donation you can read, surf the internet or just sit back and relax
- When the donation is complete you’ll receive a debit card loaded with your compensation and we’ll ask to schedule your second visit. To protect the patients that receive plasma products, we cannot use your first donation to make those life saving medicines unless you make a second donation within 6-months of the first.
Before Plasma Donation please do the following:
- Drink 4-6 glasses of water or non-caffeinated beverage 2-3 hours before donation (donation is faster when you’re hydrated)
- Eat a meal within 2 hours of donating
- Get a good sleep the night before donating
- Avoid alcohol one day prior to donating
After Plasma Donation, for optimal recovery:
- Continue to hydrate to replace lost fluids
- Keep your bandage on for at least 2-3 hours
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise
- If re-bleeding occurs, apply pressure and raise arm
- If feeling faint or dizzy either lie down with legs elevated or sit down with head between knees
- If issues continue call the plasma center or see a physician
Products made from plasma donations save or improve the lives of patients every day. Donating plasma takes time and dedication so donors are compensated for their time and commitment to helping others.